Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Boat (still) for sale

I’m not pretty. I realize this. I may not be pretty, but I am strong. I am dependable. I am safe. And I will be good to you.

I’m not some flashy boat that you own just to brag to your friends that you have a boat. I’m not a trophy boat. I’m more than that. You expect more of me, and I expect more of you.

You have a four wheel drive truck. And you use it.

You work hard. And you use your free-time to the fullest.

Being on the water is a pleasure. For you and for me. Your happiness makes me happy. I enjoy being with you on the water. I love the splash of beer on my deck as you thrust a cold, brown bottle into your buddy’s hand so you can grasp your pole and reel in the fish fighting against you. I’m happy listening to your conversations; about family, work, and fun and smelling the cigar smoke wafting in the air. And then I hear those magical words: “time to bring in the crab pots”. The rhythm of pulling. The excitement. The wonder. And then I feel it…the crab claws tickling me. And I hear the pleasure in your voice. Oh how I love those days!

It may sound as though I’m only here for men. But it’s not true. My current owner bought me so that his wife and young children would feel safe on the water. I’ve done that, and I’ve done it well.

So you might be wondering what brings me here to Craigslist. If I’m the perfect boat, why does my current owner feel he needs to get rid of me? Let me tell you his story. He fell in love with me before I was ready for the water. He agreed to take me home with him once I was ready. He was so excited! Living in Anacortes was heaven. All he could think about was taking me to Washington Park on the weekends and launching me into that cold, welcoming water. But by the time I was ready to go home with him, he’d bought a new house. Not as close to the boat launch. And this house needed more care on the weekends. The entire family was happy to stay home and enjoy this new neighborhood. It became more difficult to take me out. But of course things could change! The landscaping would be established. All those “new house” issues would be taken care of. He’d be back for me! And then things changed….

Work changed. No longer was he able to work close to home and enjoy the weekends. Now he was working four hours from home and only coming home on the weekends. That meant that his precious time at home was spent on upkeep at the house and on spending what little time he had with his children—and that often did not include me.

So now I am all alone. My owner and his family have had to move. And I’m just not the right boat for their new home. Of course I’m sad. But I’m happy that my owner and his family are together again. He is too. But I know he’d also like to see me happy. I haven’t been out on the water in so long. I hope that you can help me. That you can take me home and play with me. All you need to do is contact my owner. I want to meet you. I know he wants what’s best for me, and maybe that is you! So please contact him; even if the price seems a little bit out of your range. You never know what might happen…..

1980 24.5’ Wellcraft Sportsman
Cuddy Cabin (all cushions intact)

The following were new/newly rebuilt in 2003-2004 and have been subject to fewer than 35 hours:

1989 200 HP Mercury motor and 1988 25HP Mercury
Canvas
Gauges
Fish finder
VHS
2004 Galvanized King trailer

1 comment:

KnittinPreacher said...

You write really well! I noticed this as I have been reading, but this is wonderful. Good luck selling the boat.