Monday, July 17, 2006

Hmmm....I don't seem to be doing a very good job of keeping up with this blog. Guess I'll just have to accept that I'll jump in and out of it as I move along.

Justin and I went to the Host Family Orientation. This is going to be quite the experience!! We still don't know anything about our student. We found out the next day that the area director---who was in attendance---had the paperwork but didn't give it to the coordinator until after Justin and I had left. grrrrr I should be getting it tomorrow some time. My guess is that once we have our student here I'll be writing a bit more.

Emma started going to God and Me at church this week. Neighbor Briauna is attending too. Audrey and I were treated to drinks at Penguin Coffee (yay Nancy!) then we browsed/shopped at Read Me A Story before picking up the girls. We should have gone to a park, but didn't quite get there. Next time. Um, which would be tomorrow I guess.

Tonight is another PTA Board Meeting. Could someone tell me again why I agreed to be Secretary? Oh well. I'm sure it will be good for me. Maybe give me a little more confidence in myself? Maybe make me not quite so afraid of the dreaded "Bay View Moms"? Oh who am I kidding? At least one person on the board scares me to death and a couple others frighten me a tad. But golly, I'm sure by the end of the school year we'll all be just best buds! (that was sarcasm)

Speaking of friends.... Boy do I love this neighborhood! And I love that we've become pretty good friends with most of the neighbors. Of course I do have the irrational fear that one day the niceness will cease. I guess I just can't imagine people--especially those living in close proximity--can be friends for so long. This is yet another thing that I have not had exampled to me (exampled is the wrong word, but maybe I'll remember the right one). My mom never really had any long time friends that she still spent time with. And anybody I could recall as her friends when I was in school also aren't around anymore. And my dad..... Same thing really. It's too bad that I'm already feeling--only three years into living here--that there will be a time when it will end. And I'm not thinking of people moving, just of friendships dying. And of course I'm only picturing mine. Everyone else will still be friends, but I'll be way off on the edges. OK, Stop It! Enough of this.

Time to straighten up the house before Justin gets home. I need to leave in less than one hour so he should be home in 45 minutes or so. Plenty of time, if I get moving.

"We call that person who has lost his father, an orphan; and a widower that man who has lost his wife. But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence."
Joseph Roux

No comments: