Friday, September 01, 2006

School is creeping up on us...

Emma and Audrey got cute haircuts yesterday! I convinced Audrey to go a bit shorter this time. I wasn't sure how she'd like it, but while she was having it cut, I peeked in the mirror and saw that she was smiling. Yay! Emma's looks nice and fresh too. Guess they're ready for school.

School starts next Wednesday for Emma. She has her supplies. She did her summer homework. She has some new clothes. Guess she's ready! Wow. Second grade....

Wednesday afternoon Audrey will meet her teacher and see her classroom. She'll have her first day of kindergarten the following Tuesday. She's so excited! We just got her supply list the other day. I'd already bought some of the basic stuff, just need to take care of the crayons. Emma's list requested a box of 48 crayons so that's what I got Audrey too. But the list I have from her teacher specifies a box of 8. I may just pick 8 primary/basic colors out of the big box for her. That works, right? I bought Audrey a couple pair of jeans yesterday. Jeans are something she doesn't have much of and are kind of hard to fit. Fortunately I found some yesterday that fit great. And they were buy one get one free. Yay! So I think she's pretty much ready now too.

I'll go to the school today and help put together PTA packets. On Tuesday morning I'll go in to help with the PTA bulletin boards. Everything is happening so fast!!!! Yesterday I bought more books for the kindergarteners. In the spring we used book credit from the Scholastic Book Fair to get 60 books for the incoming kindergarteners. As of this week we have 72 kindergarteners. Yikes! They added an entire class! So I went to Borders Express in the mall and before I paid I asked about a teacher discount. He asked if I'd signed up and I explained my dilemma to him. The manager was standing there on her way out and authorized the discount. She said it was pretty obvious that the pile of books I had weren't for my personal use. That was very nice and I gushed my many many thanks to them. See, I used to work for a great company!

How boring is this blog entry?? Pretty mundane stuff here.

I'm back from the school. The other people I was scheduled to meet weren't there (just got a call---they were still printing stuff for the packets), but we dropped off the kindergarten books. Got to meet Audrey's new teacher! I'm sure she'll have a terrific year. Emma and Audrey said hello to Mrs. Tolf, Emma's teacher from last year. Before we left they wanted to say goodbye so we went down to her room and on the way back we talked with Emma's teacher for this year Mrs. DenAdel. It was nice to visit with her for a while and Emma got to see her new classroom. The girls are so excited for school to begin!!

If there were no schools to take the children away from home part of the time, the insane asylums would be filled with mothers. ~Edgar W. Howe

No comments: