Thursday, September 20, 2007

Crusie & Kirsty

Have you read any books by Jennifer Crusie? I'm really enjoying her books. Her female characters are strong women often in their 30s, of normal size, and pretty darn lucky! No 20-something waifs here. You know how sometimes you read a book and just want to throttle the character? How many times have I thought to myself "if you'd just tell him the truth it would be OK, why must you try and 'fix' it in this sordid way?", and yet I still keep reading! With Crusie's books, I think more along the lines of "buck up and sleep with him already!" since the guy in question is often gorgeous, kind, generous, and a lover of woman of a normal physique. I just finished reading Bet Me and just had to reread the end scene again. It's been hard to get into this Iris Johansen book after that!

So that's Crusie. Now what about Kirsty? Well, they are actually somewhat related subjects. I read Don't Look Down a while ago and the main character listened to Kirsty MacColl--especially the song Us Amazonians. So I was on a quest to find her music. Found it. Like it.

(Regarding Don't Look Down, that book was a collaboration with Bob Mayer. An unlikely pair it appears, but who wrote a really fun book! Why unlikely? Read this.)

Yesterday I went walking (Kristi! Get off the floor! It's not that unlikely, is it? OK, I guess it is. Please, continue laughing.) and listened to Kirsty MacColl's Tropical Brainstorm. There were a few songs I didn't care for, but enough to keep me interested that I decided to walk long enough to finish the whole album. You should hear the girls and I sing Us Amazonians when we're in the car! Now that is an experience.....

I'm thinking this walking thing should continue. I walked up and down every cul-de-sac in our development twice. (Kristi! C'mon, you're going to wet yourself if you keep laughing like that.) It took me an hour. Of course I haven't done it yet today...... But I will! I think.

I bought a new, cheap, mp3 player to use for audiobooks. I am afraid that if just listen to music while I walk I'll start to sing. Bad idea. Why?
1) Nobody wants to hear my croaking
2) I'm sure if I did start singing I wouldn't be thinking and just sing whatever I'm listening to. Even if the lyrics are "she's hot she's hot she's hot/she's just a wild and wicked slut". And who can keep themselves from singing the refrain "sha-la-la-la-la get your rocks off baby"

So I'm sure you understand my plight. Now of course I have to pick my audiobooks carefully. Do I want something sad and wind up crying as I walk? Will people look at me strangely if I walk by them laughing while listening to a comedy. Or will I mutter to myself things like "if you'd just tell him the truth it would be OK, why must you try and 'fix' it in this sordid way?"

Wow. I should really find something to do with my time and stop obsessing about random things. Naw!

I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering. ~Steven Wright

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im SO proud!!

The Warren Family said...

Hi Joy-
I love Jennifer Crusie!!! And, I love your blog - it makes me laugh.

Sounds like you guys are all doing well. Baylie is sad about Emma's ears :( Tell the girls we say hi!